· General care & maintenance of aquarium exhibits and life support systems
· Management of weekend Intern/Volunteer team
· Food preparation and feeding of organisms
· Water quality analysis
· Assure daily tasks completed
· Aid in the development of marine biology & environmental education signage
· Special project(s)
The Santa Monica Pier Aquarium offers school groups, families and visitors a unique view into the ocean world right outside our doors. It is home to more than one hundred organisms native to the Santa Monica Bay. Interactive displays, touch tanks filled with tide pool animals, a shark tank exhibit, and a microscope lab are some of the main features of the Aquarium. As Heal the Bay’s marine education facility, the Aquarium also strives to teach visitors about the importance of environmental stewardship and marine conservation.
Heal the Bay’s Santa Monica Pier Aquarium is seeking applicants for a Weekend Aquarist for our Santa Monica Pier Aquarium. This position is approximately 8-15 hours per week Saturday-Sunday. Additional hours may be necessary periodically when Senior Staff is not on site. This position will report to the Senior Aquarist and work closely together to assure quality of animal care and facilities operations run seamlessly on the weekends.
· Associates or Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or 2-4 years of related experience.
· 1-2 years of experience with marine animal husbandry and life support systems
· Ability to supervise and guide Intern/Volunteer team
· Hyper-sensitive attention to detail
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Exceptional decision-making skills
· Superior time management ability
· A desire to continuously improve exhibits, facilities, and quality of life for our collection
· Passion for Heal the Bay’s mission
· Previous volunteer positions or internships in a relevant field is highly desirable
Friday’s (10:00AM-noon). Saturday & Sunday - (8:30AM-1:30PM) There is some flexibility around time of day.
Salary: $15.00/hour with appropriate state and federal taxes withheld. Paid sick leave is provided after 90 days of employment. There are no dental, medical, health insurance or vacation benefits included as part of employment.
Hours: Part-time 12 hours (average) per week.
Application Deadline: Until filled
Please submit cover letter and resume with “Weekend Aquarist Position” in the subject line to www.healthebay.org/jobs.
No calls please.
Heal the Bay is an equal opportunity employer and actively recruits to promote diversity in our workforce.