The Surgical Technologist position has three (3) categories: Surgical Technologist I (uncertified), Surgical Technologist II (certified) and surgical Technologist III (first surgical assistant). A Surgical Technologist I is considered an entry-level technologist. Once national certification is attained, the Technologist I may progress to the Surgical Technologist II category. Surgical Technologist I and II assemble case carts for surgical procedures and act as a scrub assistant for all types of procedures. Other duties include: arranging and passing instruments, sponges and sutures; counting sponges, needles and other instruments as needed: and completing post-operative clean-up and other related duties.
- Education: Associate Degree in: Surgical Technology or equivalent
- Experience Required: 3 months- 1 year
- Has graduated from an accredited school in an Operating Room Technician (ORT) or Surgical Technologist (ST) program.
- Certification in the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA).
- Current BLS and/or CPR certification from the American Heart Association or American Red Cross or the ability to obtain certification within 6 weeks of hire.