North Austin Medical Center
Certified Surgical Tech II / Sterile Processing - Weekends / Days
|Post Date:||Dec 27, 2017||Type:||Full-Time|
|Start Date:||12/27/2017||Salary:|| |
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Required: Graduate from an accredited education program for Surgical Technology, appropriate training program in the U.S. Armed Forces or U.S. Public Health Service and/or High School Diploma or GED
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES
Required: If working prior to September 1, 2009 in a Surgical Technologist title, employee does not need to hold a current CST License; If employee graduates after Sept 1, 2009 must hold and maintain a current certification as a Surgical Technologist within 180 days from the date of graduation. The certification must be from: 1. The National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting or its successor; 2. The National Center for Competency Testing or its successor; 3. Another surgical technology certification program approved by the department; BCLS Certification
Preferred: ACLS Certification
Assists in the cleaning and preparation of the operating room suite according to the Hospital standards and policies. Participates in the care and cleaning of OR equipment. The surgical technician performs in a sterile field and assist the surgeon by providing instrumentation appropriate for the task. Participates in providing patient specific care standards as directed, and follows service excellence standards to ensure high levels of patient satisfaction.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Complies with hospital/departmental policies and procedures, i.e., attendance, mandatory education, safety, infection control, etc.
- Performs patient care within the scope of training of the OR technician and under the direction of the RN.
- Respects patient’s rights by maintaining patient privacy, dignity, and confidentiality.
- Applies knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span to identify patient and family requirements relative to age-specific needs. (See age-specific criteria addendum)
- Prepares for each procedure and/or surgery.
- Can organize work and utilize time efficiently. Has knowledge of a safe transfer of the surgical patient.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the step-by-step positioning of the patient on the OR table.
- Maintains a clean OR suite for the surgical patients.
- Maintains a safe environment for the surgical patients by checking the conditions and cleanliness of equipment before procedure.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of the specific uses of all equipment and supplies used for all cases.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating manuals, and maintenance manuals
- Performs intra-operative management of assigned procedures.
- Initiates and maintains a sterile field throughout surgical procedures by adhering to the principles of asepsis.
- Assists in preparation and draping of patient and operative site.
- Anticipates needs of surgeon.
- Assists the circulating nurse in maintaining correct needle, sponge, and instrument counts.
- Appropriately handles all specimens.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and correct procedure in managing patient with system specific procedures.
- Assumes responsibility for supply and equipment management appropriate to position and in compliance to department standard.
- Determines priority in equipment needs and ensures availability.
- Assists in maintenance of instruments and equipment by proper utilization, cleaning, care and sterilization.
- Removes and reports all damaged or unsafe equipment.
- Maintains use and cleanliness of autoclaves, includes logs.
- Assists with post procedure workload.
- Assists with OR sanitation.
- Demonstrate ability to properly decontaminate patient care equipment
- Retrieve equipment from operating rooms as necessary.
- Perform decontamination and performance testing in accordance with established procedures.
- Utilize cleaning agents in accordance with manufacturers’ instructions.
- Notify the appropriate Unit Supervisor and/or buyer of any malfunctioning equipment.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of equipment used in surgery.
- Prepare and sterilize supplies
- Receive, prepare, and sterilize items with steam sterilization or Sterrad in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Assemble surgical trays in accordance with current component list.
- Prepare and file appropriate documentation for each sterilizer load.
- Select the appropriate method of sterilization of each item.
- Clean and perform accepted maintenance on instruments and equipment.
- Properly load, operate, and clean all sterilizers and all equipment using biological and chemical controls as required by policies and procedures.
- Receive and store supplies appropriately
- Examine all received supplies for expiration dates, package integrity, or any visible damages that might compromise sterility.
- Rotate and store stock to achieve first-in/first-out distribution.
- Report stock shortages to the Sterile Processing Manager in a timely manner.
- Work collaboratively with sales representatives.
- Operate cleaning and sterilization equipment
- Perform daily or weekly sterilization validation tests per procedure per sterilizer in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Follow departmental established procedure and manufacturers’ instructions for operation of all cleaning.
- Monitor equipment through all phases of operation.
- Note and report within 15 minutes probable malfunction.
- Undertake the appropriate procedure in response to malfunction.
- Maintain a safe work environment in accordance with OSHA standards
- Maintain proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) while in decontamination area.
- Assure general cleaning of department surface areas, racks, shelves, and all storage areas.
- Participates in unit activities
- Assumes responsibilities of Sterile Processing Supervisor in his or her absence under the direction of the Manager, Sterile Processing when needed.
- Assesses others in adherence to principles of asepsis.
- Provides two in-services yearly relating to sterile processing, to sterile processing technicians, and other Surgical Services personnel if needed.
- Ensures that all sterilization logs and records are correctly completed two times during each shift.
- Participates in budget and inventory control.
- Keeps supervisor and /or buyer informed of needed items.
- Participates in staff and self-development.
- Takes appropriate action to prevent/manage accidents in the area.
- Participates in performance/process improvement.
- Assists with orientation of new employees.
- Completes Annual Equipment Competency Checklist.
- Attends 80% of Staff Meetings.
North Austin Medical Center
Please help us spread the word
about BiologyJobs.com by telling
any organization you know that hires employees with a background in biology that they can advertise their open positions online at BiologyJobs.com for only $1 per day with unlimited job postings and resume database access plus their organization's profile and logo featured online. You can't beat the affordable advertising rates of Biology Jobs .com combined with the highly tartgeted traffic that your job postings will recieve compared to other online job board services.
Whether you are working on your degree, or your have completed your B.A.
(bachelor of arts) B.S. ( bachelor of science ) M.S.( master of science ), M.A. ( master of arts ),or
Ph.D ( doctorate of philosophy ) degree , and you are looking for a postdoctoral ( postdoc ) job, Biology Jobs .com has job openings posted online at various times for all levels of Biology Jobs from volunteer positions to postdoctoral research jobs to tenured professors, positions with top biotechnology companies and everything in between.