Job Summary: Processes tissue and body fluid specimens in preparation for diagnostic interpretation by the pathologist by performing the following duties.
- Accessions, embeds, cuts, stains, cover slips and labels tissue and body fluid specimens for Histologic or Cytologic evaluation; operates equipment according to established protocol
- Files and stores diagnostic slides and tissue specimens
- Maintains equipment and work area to provide for timely accurate service delivery
- Assists pathologists with gross and frozen sections
- Incorporates quality control and quality improvement initiatives into daily operations
- Identifies, accessions, processes and bills for technical portion of specimen evaluation
- Promotes customer relations
- Maintains confidentiality
- Logs/tracks/mails specimens for consultation
- Effectively manages time and resources, utilizing technology related to practice in the assigned technical areas
- Collaborates with others to improve service delivery
- Maintains policies, procedures, quality control, and records in compliance with regulatory requirements
- Manages equipment and supply inventory
- Adheres to Laboratory safety protocols
Education/Experience: Associate's degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Licensure/Certification/Registration: None required; Histology Technician (ASCP preferred).