The Surgical Technologist position has three (3) categories: Surgical Technologist I (uncertified), surgical Technologist II (certified) and Surgical Technologist III (Surgical First Assistant). A Surgical Technologist III performs the same duties as a Surgical Technologist I with the following additional responsibilities: acts as a preceptor for the primary teaching of new employees and provides first assistant skills for procedures requiring a First Assistant.
- Education: Associate Degree: Surgical Technology (Preferred)
- Experience Required: Entry Level
- Has graduated from an accredited school in an Operating Room Technician (ORT) or Surgical Technologist (ST) program.
- Certification in the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA).
- Current BLS and/or CPR certification from the American Heart Association or American Red Cross or the ability to obtain certification within 6 weeks of hire.
- In addition to graduation from accredited technical college or approved program for First Assisting, will also fulfill demonstrated First Assist competencies as defined by United Hospital System's Surgical Services Department within 60 days of hire.
- If no formal First Assist education, previous work experience in a full service OR with validated competencies equivalent to 2 full years of First Assisting will be considered. Upon hire, candidate must also demonstrate First Assist competencies as defined by United Hospital System's Surgical Services Department within 60 days of hire.