Education: Completion of recognized MLT program or documentation of eligibility with CLIA Federal Register Standards.
Experience: Two years experience in a clinical laboratory preferred.
Skills: Ability to read, communicate, and document effectively through oral, written, or electronic means. Excellent skills in customer relations. Demonstrates the constant ability to prioritize and respond promptly to a changing workload. Ability to respond to multiple situations and questions that require sound judgements and action for quality patient care.
Licenses/Certifications: Preferred: MLT certification.
Summary: Performs moderate and high complexity tests in the clinical laboratory. Ensures that specimens are appropriate for test methodologies. Documents all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations, and maintenance performed. Assists customers with information regarding laboratory testing in a pleasant and professional manner.
1. Ensures that all necessary actions are taken and documented whenever there is significant deviation from the laboratory established policies and procedures.
2. Identifies problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of results and either corrects the problem or immediately notifies the laboratory supervisor or director.
3. Documents all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications.
4. Adheres to the laboratory's quality control and quality improvement policies.
5. Documents all quality control activities.
6. Documents instrument/ procedural calibrations and maintenance performed.
7. Performs patient testing according to laboratory policy and procedure.
8. Results and reports critical value results according to policy and procedure.
9. Responds appropriately to changes in workload, assisting in other areas of the clinical laboratory as necessary.
10. Ensures that patient testing is completed in a timely manner by following laboratory policy for pending logs.
11. Tests proficiency samples as directed by the supervisory staff ensuring that the samples are tested in the same manner as patient samples.
12. Assists in inventory control and ordering of supplies by alerting the supervisor or other appropriate individuals of supply needs in a timely fashion.
13. Communicates observations, facts, and comments to the appropriate supervisor or laboratory director.
14. Assists in implementing policies and procedures for department operations.
15. Demonstrates the ability to 'troubleshoot' instrumentation issues.
16. Assists in the training of laboratory staff/students as required.
17. Demonstrates competency with all necessary LIS modules/ functions.