Education: High School diploma/GED preferred or equivalent experience required.
Required Course(s)/ Training: Pharmacy technician program.
Experience: Completion of internship.
Licenses/Certifications: Required: Arizona State Board of Pharmacy Technician's license and BLS certification.
Under the supervision and direction of the Pharmacist, provides assistance to pharmacists who perform pharmaceutical care to patients according to professional standards and practices.
1. Selects the correct drug, strength, dosage form and quantity. Accurately labels and packages medications under the supervision of a pharmacist. Accurately fills the automated dispensing units.
2. Prepares and makes timely deliveries to patient units and ancillary departments.
3. Accurately prepares sterile products (chemotherapy and non-chemotherapy) following hospital policies and procedures on aseptic technique and safe chemotherapy preparation.
4. Completes random aseptic technique tests successfully.
5. Completes appropriate documentation of required pharmacy department information
6. Ensures secure storage and accurate records of controlled substances. Follows policies and procedures requiring distribution.
7. Oversees and teaches new Pharmacy Technicians and Pharmacy Interns.
8. Demonstrates logical workload assessment and prioritization skills. Completes workload responsibilities in a timely and thorough manner.
9. Demonstrates proficiency in software and technology and takes responsibility to maintain competency. Is able to trouble-shoot and resolve Pyxis and other related equipment issues.
10. Completes department specific projects and tasks as assigned by the Pharmacy Director, Pharmacy Clinical Coordinator and/or Pharmacy Technician Coordinator.