QC Lab Technician – Shakopee, MN
Kelly Scientific Resources is currently seeking candidates for a QC Lab Tech for one of our top clients in Shakopee, MN. This is a 6-month temp-to-hire, Monday-Friday 1st shift.
As a QC Technician placed with Kelly Scientific Resources, you will perform laboratory tests to determine chemical and physical characteristics or composition of barley grain and barley malt materials for such purposes as quality control, process control, or product development by performing the following duties:
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- Sets up, adjusts and operates laboratory equipment and instruments such as microscopes, mashing bath, viscometer, balance, spectrophotometer, colorimeter, LECO-protein analyzer, SKALAR-automated continuous flow analyzer, tepral filtration and other technology as industry developments occur.
- Prepares samples for analysis including: sample cleaning, grading grinding, etc.
- Tests samples of malted barley to verify conformity to customer specifications
- Tests materials used as ingredients in the brewing industry for such qualities as varietal purity, enzymes, viscosity, extract, proteins, beta glucan, germination, color, turbidity, pH, moisture, FAN, DON, tepral filtration, and new analysis as needed.
- Record test results on standardized forms, accurately maintain computerized database of results.
- Cleans and where necessary sterilizes laboratory equipment. Calibrates and maintains laboratory instruments. Plans sequence of testing and calibration procedures for instruments and equipment.
- Recommends modifications of existing quality or production tests, procedures and equipment in order to achieve optimum quality and productivity within limits of equipment capability.
- Prepares chemical solutions according to standardized procedures. Purchases stock chemicals and other laboratory supplies as needed to maintain adequate but not excessive quantities on hand for use as needed; obtains the desired quantity at the most favorable cost.
- Assist the Director of Technical Services in assuring that acceptable housekeeping and sanitary practices and procedures are established and observed by all laboratory personnel.
- Participates in on the job and outside training and development as needed to maintain and enhance work related knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Attends and participates in professional society meetings, seminars, and special courses of study to maintain or enhance the level of technical knowledge and skills
- Performs waste water treatment plant analysis as directed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Food Science, or related disciplines
- Previous lab experience or related experience is required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong math skills – the ability to work with concepts such as probability and statistical inference, as well as fractions, percentages, rations, and proportions.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
As a Kelly Services employee, you will have access to numerous perks, including:
- Exposure to a variety of career opportunities as a result of our expansive network of client companies
- Career guides, information and tools to help you successfully position yourself throughout every stage of your career
- Access to more than 3,000 online training courses through our Kelly Learning Center
- Weekly pay and service bonus plans
- Group- rate insurance options available immediately upon hire*
•Available for purchase and administered by a designated third-party vendor
With Kelly, you’ll have access to some of the world’s highest-regarded scientific organizations—providing you with opportunities to work on today’s most challenging, research-intensive, and relevant projects. Our connections can lead you to innovative scientific pursuits you’ll be proud to help advance. We work with 95 of the Fortune 100™ companies, and found opportunities for more than 11,000 scientific professionals last year.
You pursued a career in science to fuel your quest for knowledge and your desire to make the world a better place. Let Kelly fuel your career—connect with us today.
As a workforce advocate for over 70 years, we are proud to directly employ nearly 500,000 people around the world and have a role in connecting thousands more with work through our global network of talent suppliers and partners. Revenue in 2016 was $5.3 billion. Visit kellyservices.com and connect with us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Kelly Services is an equal opportunity employer including, but not limited to, Minorities, Females, Individuals with Disabilities, Protected Veterans, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law.