Volt is currently seeking an experienced, accomplished, self-motivated R&D Scientist for a 6-month contract opportunity in the Wilmington, Delaware area.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a leading provider of chromatographic solutions for customers in the Food, Environmental, Forensics and Pharmaceutical industries. This company provides scientists worldwide with a range of instruments, systems, consumables, supplies and services.
The R&D Team at the Little Falls, Delaware site is seeking an advanced level R&D scientist to assist in the development of novel materials and unique product configurations for use in sample preparation and to evaluate the sample extraction performance of these materials under various conditions prior to commercialization. The expected results are to ensure that these new products are designed to maximize their performance characteristics and provide unique and proprietary competitive differentiation. The person in this position will be responsible to help develop applications for materials to be used in sample preparation processes prior to chromatographic analysis.
- Assist in the development of inorganic and/or organic particles or materials to be used as media for sample preparation.
- Test, evaluate, and characterize prototype materials to assist in the optimization and development of sample preparation media.
- Measure physico-chemical properties of extraction media using various analytical techniques.
- Evaluate the use of extraction media in novel product configurations and use analytical chromatographic techniques to determine the performance characteristics of prototype products.
- Develop applications on sample preparation media to demonstrate capabilities of these materials and to compare to existing products. These applications will include many analyte and matrix combinations across all market types.
- Work closely with other R&D scientists on assigned projects to deliver new products on schedule. Work with other members of interdisciplinary product development teams to develop new products for commercialization.
- Assist in the transfer of technology from the R&D lab to Supply Chain. As requested, write processes and procedures. Provide on-site direction and support during technology transfer.
- Conduct needed testing to help find optimal synthesis/assembly/testing conditions for prototype materials and aid in identifying quality assurance testing procedures.
- Maintain a safe working environment and follow all EHS regulations, including use of appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Maintain a well-organized lab environment following 5S/LEAN principles.
- Maintain appropriate laboratory notebooks to record all experimental details and results. May be asked to periodically present work to the R&D team.
- Process data (using Chemstation, MS-Excel and MS-PowerPoint), and write technical reports (MS-Word) containing summaries of test results, data analysis and interpretation.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Material Science or Chemical Engineering is required.
- Understanding of sample preparation techniques and hands-on experience with SPE and other sample preparation techniques is required.
- Experience in at least one area of analytical chemistry, organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, or material science is required. Industrial experience of at least 3+ years required.
- Extensive hands-on experience in modern instrumentation, including LC/MS/MS, GC/MS/MS, HPLC, GC etc., is required.
- Experience with separation techniques especially HPLC or GC is required.
- This position requires a high degree of attention to detail, teamwork, creativity, initiative, self-direction and ability to multi-task to deliver projects on time.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong work ethic and team player attributes.
- Experienced with the use of MS Office SW products such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint to record, process, summarize, and present data and experimental results.
- Enthusiasm for working in a diverse, demanding, collaborative and exciting technology environment.
- Experience with many sample preparation techniques is strongly preferred.
- Experience in using different extraction products and good analytical skills are strongly preferred.
Please apply to the position if interested!
Volt has been serving some of the nation's strongest companies for over 60 years. As a Volt employee, you can expect the highest level of on-site support. We have a long-standing tradition of developing lasting and mutually beneficial relationships with its employees.
Volt is an Equal Opportunity Employer