A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 50,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Your Role: Manufacture or evaluate products according to established protocols, provide technical support to others and perform operations in support of the group and department.
We have an opening for a hazard evaluation chemist in Sheboygan, WI that will concentrate primarily in the support of process safety assessments for Sheboygan Manufacturing. Primary responsibilities will focus on conducting thermal analyses and calorimetry experiments to address safety needs for bulk manufacturing in large-scale plant equipment. Other responsibilities will include generating technical reports and executing preventative maintenance on equipment.
First Shift - Monday - Friday
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION
- Safely perform operations to meet quality expectations.
- Ensure quality throughout the process.
- Assure you are adequately trained to perform tasks/assignments.
- Perform routine assays, processes and/or unit operations.
- Complete the volume of work required to achieve group/departmental goals and meet deadlines.
- Contribute to support functions of the lab (e.g., maintain equipment, prepare reagents, restock lab supplies, waste disposal).
- Communicate the status of operations and bring deviations to the attention of supervisor.
- Provide complete and accurate records consistent with quality guidelines.
- Ensure all applicable log books have been filled out completely as required by current procedures.
- Interact with other departments as needed.
- Participate as needed in quality audits.
- Accurately perform procedure independently.
- In compliance with change control procedures, improve processes through application of scientific knowledge, experience, and principles.
- Identify opportunities for process improvement.
- Participate in process improvements under the guidance of a Supervisor or Scientist.
- Take the necessary action to resolve any unsafe conditions.
- Train personnel and act as a technical consultant as needed. Perform and interpret analytical evaluations of products and intermediates.
- Supply information based on experience and knowledge.
Who You Are:
- Education: BS or BA degree in chemistry, biochemistry, biology, chemical engineering or related life science required. with 1-5 years or a MS in Chemistry or ChemE with 1-3 years in chemical manufacturing
- Equivalent Accepted: In lieu of the education requirement, an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience is accepted. The equivalent definition is 1 year of relevant experience for each full year of education required.
- Independent lab research desired
- 6-12 months of training necessary to learn specifics of job adequately to work independently.
- Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge in chemistry or biochemistry, math and general science.
- Familiar with laboratory instruments and production equipment.
- Process techniques and unit operations.
- Analytical techniques and equipment.
- Safe chemical handling methods.
- Communication skills, oral and written.
- Computer skills.
- Mechanical skills.
- Troubleshooting skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Laboratory and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of ISO Quality standards.
Additional experience in process safety is desirable. Candidate will be expected to design and perform experiments in support of existing hazard evaluation program (thermal stability and reaction calorimetry). The candidate must be knowledgeable in chemical synthesis, proficient in the use of both Microsoft and Google platforms, and has the ability to work well individually and in a team environment. Effective communication, good organizational skills, and efficient use of the chemical literature are a must.
ADDITIONAL LOCAL NEEDS
Chemical environment-Must be able to perform tasks while wearing personal protective equipment such as respirator or chemical protective clothing for extended periods.
May require occasional lifting and pushing of up to 50 pounds.
May require shift work.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.