A biotechnology product development company is seeking a Scientist I for its location in Eugene, Oregon for a 12-month contract.
Perform organic chemistry syntheses in a manufacturing environment. Understand the written production documents and be technically capable of performing processes and procedures to maintain inventory of those products. Possess scientific understanding of team products and their applications, sufficient to complete the work, and suggest potential improvements to manufacturing processes.
- Produce and conduct analysis of reagents, components, and finished products in accordance with the manufacturing plan.
- Maintain accurate inventory of raw materials, WIP, and finished product; use advanced ERP functions.
- Analyze and interpret scientific data. Utilize specialized technical knowledge or skills necessary.
- Maintain communication with representatives from other departments and teams as required, including coordinating with other teams internal and external to operations to share resources; work across various functions as required.
- Actively participate in team activities (conflict resolution, team building, scheduling).
- Recognize manufacturing problems, identify variables, perform appropriate experiments, and recommend necessary corrections to manufacturing processes.
- Keep a clear, complete and accurate account of all manufacturing and product development work through the appropriate use of Batch Data Records, notebooks, customer reports, work order documents, and other appropriate documentation.
- Critically evaluate, revise, or create process documents; ensure that efficient, reproducible, quality manufacturing processes and documents are developed for new and existing products.
- Ensure adherence to quality standards in process documents. Continually strive to improve product quality through establishment of more effective or efficient manufacturing processes and quality testing. Effectively communicate the importance of total quality to the members of the team.
- Work to achieve department goals and business objectives with respect to quality, on-time completion of work, and safety.
- Seek additional training or education for career development (i.e.: attend journal clubs, meetings, and seminars).
- Submit data or articles for publication as required.
- As part of an investigative team, initiate and implement appropriate experiments to address failure of product or processes to yield expected results.
- Work with team members and planning/purchasing teams to develop and execute a manufacturing schedule consistent with master schedule requirements for team products; coordinate team resources to ensure the most efficient use of time and materials.
- Identify and interpret the scientific basis of each manufacturing process in use by the team.
- Participate in intra-team or inter-departmental problem-solving teams as required.
- Actively participate in New Product Development /product and process development activities. Co-development with R&D or Manufacturing Sciences throughout process as required.
- Work with EH&S to assure guidelines are followed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Organic Chemistry (preferred) or equivalent disciplines.
- Minimum 2+ years of manufacturing experience.
- Solid technical writing skills.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work independently as required.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to efficiently evaluate, prioritize and handle multiple and changing projects and priorities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interpret and summarize scientific results in a clear, concise, accurate manner.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate and solve problems.
- Proven ability to lead and provide work direction required.
- Work in a team based environment to manufacture research and commercial products that are scientific in nature for use in the life sciences industry.
- Implement production and large-scale manufacturing procedures to optimize processes and meet quality requirements. Actively participate and contribute to New Product Development and Introduction, process improvement and team management.
Master’s degree in Organic Chemistry.
Please apply if interested.
Volt has been serving some of the nation's strongest companies for over 60 years. As a Volt employee, you can expect the highest level of on-site support. We have a long-standing tradition of developing lasting and mutually beneficial relationships with its employees.
Volt is an Equal Opportunity Employer.