Critical features of this job are described under the headings below. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
The Analyst I prepares and analyzes environmental samples using standard analytical techniques according to scientific and EPA methodology in compliance with TestAmerica's Quality Assurance programs and SOP's.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs routine lab tasks that provide experience and familiarization with methods, practices, and programs. These include:
- Preparation of samples using standard techniques
- Performing chemical analysis using standard techniques
- Calculating data
- Recording and reporting data and any unusual test occurrences to the supervisor
- Performing routine instrument maintenance
- Responsible for performing job functions in compliance with TestAmerica's EHS and QA standards
- Responsible for general housekeeping in his/her work area
- Ability to become trained and competent on complex instrumentation including but not limited to gas chromatography, gas chromatography/mass spectrometry, atomic absorption, ICP, and instrument specific data systems.
- Works under close supervision using routine and standard methods
- Aliquots and weighs samples
- Washes glassware
- Include other Analysts and Technicians
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
BS or BA in chemistry or related field. 3 years laboratory experience may substitute for degree.
Laboratory experience helpful
Previous production-oriented work helpful (awareness and ability to meet deadlines)
- Licensure/Certificate/Registration None
- Analytical and/or General Science
- Scientific methods and method compliance
- Strong Mathematics background
- Knowledge of Standard Operating Procedures
- Knowledge of laboratory procedures
- Laboratory safety rules and chemical hazards
- Reading, writing and speaking skills
- Problem solving skills
- Team participation and meeting management skills
- Time management and organization skills
- Use calculator/mathematical formulas and concepts
- Complete work within time and quality constraints
- Work independently following written or verbal instructions
- Cooperate and coordinate both orally and in writing
- Follow and learn appropriate protocols in one or more of the following disciplines:
- Organic preparation
- Metals preparation and analysis
- Gas Chromatography
- Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry
- Radio Chemistry
- Wet Chemistry
- High Resolution preparation and analysis
- Low Resolution preparation and analysis
Materials and Equipment Used
- Data processor and computers
- Various laboratory equipment dependent on departmental discipline/purpose
Lifting up to 50 pounds and carrying up to 30 pounds when moving samples and disposing of waste
Pushing and pulling up to 200 pounds when moving sample carts and gas tanks
Approximately 60% of time standing when analyzing samples, 10% walking when moving about laboratory, and 30% sitting when working at computer, doing paper work, or analyzing samples. These percentages vary significantly depending upon duties being performed. Must be able to sit, stand, or stoop for long periods of time.
Stooping, kneeling, crouching, and reaching when getting samples and performing analyses
For unusual odors, leakage, contamination
Handling samples, operating instruments, data entry
Conversational hearing ability
Performing analyses, viewing computer screen, doing paperwork
Conversational speaking ability
Typical laboratory environment with occasional time in office areas. Varying degree of exposure to fumes, odors, dusts, and gases dependent upon samples being analyzed. Constant background noise from hoods, fans, and laboratory instruments. Potential exposure to toxic, caustic, or carcinogenic samples in laboratory area.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.