McCormick & Company, Incorporated, a global leader in flavor, is seeking a Lab Tech-I reporting to a Team Manager. This individual will work at the Flavor Manufacturing Center located in Hunt Valley, MD.
With more than $4 billion in annual sales, the Company manufactures markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavorful products to the entire food industry – retail outlets, food manufacturers and foodservice businesses. We create differentiating flavors consumers prefer with unmatched quality, science, innovation and service. Every day, no matter where or what you eat, you can enjoy food flavored by McCormick. McCormick makes every moment and meal better™
As a company recognized for exceptional commitment to employees, McCormick offers a wide variety of benefits, programs and services. Benefits include, but are not limited to, tuition assistance, medical, dental, vision, disability, group life insurance, 401(k), profit sharing, paid holidays and vacations.
Working under the direction of the Quality Team Manager, the Lab Technician will be responsible for routine sampling and inspection of incoming raw materials and finished products; basic analytical testing; sensory: and basic SAP transactions. The employee will adhere to safety procedures, ensure a safe work environment, meet and/or exceed product quality expectations, and assist in achieving process reliability goals.
- Sample all incoming raw materials after reviewing Kosher status and resample raw materials and finished products as required in accordance with specified procedures
- Participate in sensory evaluation of raw materials and finished product, including alcohol, flavor chemicals, dairy products, etc.
- Performs analytical testing following McCormick methodology.
- Prepare raw materials and finished good samples for organoleptic evaluation for both regular evaluations and specific panels
- Prepare samples of raw materials and finished goods to be sent for outside testing
- Enter test result data into SAP and perform other transactions/navigation as necessary to perform the job
- Assist with data collection to establish process capability
- Ability to understand HACCP & GMP policies
- Actively participate in team/department meetings
- Perform sanitation duties, proper housekeeping, and adhere to safety guidelines
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Strong Verbal and Written communication required
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as a team required.
- Physical requirements: lifting boxes of samples several times a day, boxes of supplies, carry materials/samples from receiving dock to laboratory, opening containers of product - 10 pounds continuously, 20 pounds frequently, and up to 50 pounds regularly required.
- Ability to read reports, paperwork with small print, copy number sequences, key information into PC terminal and overall legible, accurate recordkeeping skills required.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision required.
- Able to utilize all senses in evaluating products such as taste, color perception, and smell required
- Flexibility to work overtime weekdays and weekends with minimum notice required.
- Ability to work in an environment in which fumes, odors and dust are constant is required.
- Performs other tasks as assigned or necessary.
- Laboratory experience strongly preferred.
- 4 year College degree in a related field strongly preferred.
- Strong computer skills – proficient with Microsoft applications, SAP experience preferred.
- One or two years experience in a manufacturing environment, familiarity with McCormick production, areas, products and materials preferred.
McCormick & Company is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
As a general policy, McCormick does not offer employment visa sponsorships upon hire or in the future.