Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Senior Learning Architect - 9-12 Chemistry and Physics
|Post Date:||Dec 25, 2017||Type:||Full-Time|
|Start Date:||12/25/2017||Salary:|| |
Job Requisition ID: 7941
Job Requisition ID: 7941
Purpose of the Role: The Senior Learning Architect (SLA) is responsible for ensuring that assigned components (print, digital, and customized) meet market needs and are delivered on time and on budget. The responsibilities of this position require independent and collaborative work in delivering assigned products. The SLA may be responsible for major components or features within a program and also may provide guidance, coaching, and training to more junior team members. Success entails working collaboratively and coordinating with the Product Planning, Development and Marketing (PDM) team and other departments within the organization. The SLA applies process, content, and technical knowledge to assigned projects, participates in project planning, and continues to increase personal knowledge of process, technical skills, and subject-area content.
- Works cooperatively and effectively with other members of cross-functional project teams, including other Learning Architects, Design Architects, Production Managers, and Content Shared Services providers
- Clearly and explicitly defines learning and user experience requirements for learning products and ensures that these requirements are met
- Works with product owner(s) and cross-functional project teams to define the creative vision for both print and digital learning products
- Creates high-level concept proposals to address specified requirements
- Contributes to definition of optimal processes for designing and developing specified print and digital learning products
- Supports subject-matter experts to define appropriate learning objectives and determine the scope and sequence of learning products
- Works with cross-functional PDM teams to design products that meet specified learning and user experience (UX) requirements, including writing appropriate prototype content, providing input into design decisions, and reviewing design outputs
- Supports UX consultants to ensure user-testing findings are implemented successfully in product designs
- Secures appropriate input, feedback, and approval from leadership with regard to proposed learning models and approaches, task flows, and designs
- Creates content development kits that effectively communicate product parameters so that specified development partners (vendors) can implement them successfully
- Selects and applies appropriate HMH standards, templates, and processes to assigned projects, including project user personas, text and language standards, authoring tools, acceptance criteria, and review documents
- Coordinates LA and UX review of development outputs, including outlines, storyboards, assets, and integrated builds
- Ensures that HMH standards are consistently implemented
- Supports the development of reusable digital learning templates and content and ensures optimal reuse of digital content across projects to maximize production efficiencies and reduce costs
- Proactively shares relevant project information and experiences with the team and communicates related issues in a timely manner
- Coordinates and reviews the work of editors and freelance writers; writes or revises portions of manuscripts, scripts, and storyboards; edits manuscript for several major components of a project according to project guidelines and divisional standards of quality and accuracy
- Provides training and guidance to more junior team members
- Prepares manuscript for release, develops and/or checks page layouts, and implements all steps in the production process for assigned projects; works closely with designers and photo researchers on page layouts, photo selection, and creation of illustrations; checks all stages of art and proof for assigned projects; develops and/or checks content of tech products and participates in all stages of their production; works with IT and tech vendors on screen layouts, image selection, sound effects, voicings, and implementation of all functionalities; effectively utilizes tech tools in the publishing process to facilitate development efficiency and enhance product quality
- Participates in discussions related to the planning of new publishing proposals and makes recommendations that reflect creative solutions to customer needs and awareness of industry trends; assists in sales support activities as requested
- Demonstrates increasing content knowledge for assigned projects; becomes familiar with and applies knowledge of market research to text; has a thorough understanding of all relevant state and national standards; fully understands sensitivity issues
- Works effectively with other employees across the division; keeps Lead LA well informed of project progress and issues, referring appropriate decisions to management
- Develops HOTS bookmaps, writes photo specs, completes project tracking documents, and has ownership of other tools as needed.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in science, education, or relevant discipline
- Background in/familiarity with high school science content, particularly chemistry and physical science
- 7+ years of educational publishing experience
- 7+ years of editorial and/or learning design experience
- Strong conceptual skills, a critical eye for detail, and the ability to translate complex concepts into visual representations
- Self-motivation, ability to work with and communicate effectively with a variety of technical and creative individuals
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills, with attention to detail
- Excellent communication, organizational, and time-management skills
- Proven decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage time in environment with multiple competing priorities
- Ability to identify risks and create mitigation strategies
- Industry knowledge—capable of assessing the quality of educational products quickly and thoroughly
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Passionate about creating engaging and effective (fun!) learning products
- Strong computer skills, including MS Office products and company technology tools
- Teaching experience helpful
- Strong design/aesthetic sensibilities
- Experience working in a K–12 (primary or secondary) education setting
- Experience developing learning solutions for the K–12 market
- Practical experience designing and/or deploying 21st-century learning solutions, including blogs, wikis, online forums, chat rooms, and online communities of practice
- Practical experience contributing to the design of digital interactive games
- Experience writing scripts for engaging time-based media such as animated cartoons, television documentaries, narrative-driven digital interactive games, etc.
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing)
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings
Round Rock/Austin, TX; Evanston, IL; also open to other locations
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NASDAQ:HMHC) is a global learning company dedicated to changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. As a leading provider of pre-K–12 education content, services, and cutting-edge technology solutions across a variety of media, HMH enables learning in a changing landscape. HMH is uniquely positioned to create engaging and effective educational content and experiences from early childhood to beyond the classroom. HMH serves more than 50 million students in over 150 countries worldwide, while its award-winning children's books, novels, non-fiction, and reference titles are enjoyed by readers throughout the world.
For more information, visit http://careers.hmhco.com
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Please help us spread the word
about BiologyJobs.com by telling
any organization you know that hires employees with a background in biology that they can advertise their open positions online at BiologyJobs.com for only $1 per day with unlimited job postings and resume database access plus their organization's profile and logo featured online. You can't beat the affordable advertising rates of Biology Jobs .com combined with the highly tartgeted traffic that your job postings will recieve compared to other online job board services.
Whether you are working on your degree, or your have completed your B.A.
(bachelor of arts) B.S. ( bachelor of science ) M.S.( master of science ), M.A. ( master of arts ),or
Ph.D ( doctorate of philosophy ) degree , and you are looking for a postdoctoral ( postdoc ) job, Biology Jobs .com has job openings posted online at various times for all levels of Biology Jobs from volunteer positions to postdoctoral research jobs to tenured professors, positions with top biotechnology companies and everything in between.