Full time, evening shift blood bank opportunity at Banner Desert Medical Center in Mesa, AZ. Banner Desert Hospital is a busy, comprehensive care hospital and has been rated as one of the top five hospitals in the Phoenix metropolitan area.
We need a knowledgable, efficient medical lab scientist to help ensure accurate and timely high complexity testing and offer a large specrum of benefits and opportunities.
This position is responsible for a high level of technical knowledge and application of that knowledge to department testing, clinical relevance, and complex problem solving skills. This position serves as a department resource, and is responsible for assisting with department compliance with all pertinent laboratory accrediting agency and regulatory requirements (e.g., CLIA '88, JCAHO, CAP, OSHA).
- Performs testing in an accurate and timely manner according to established policies and performance standards with a knowledge level determined for that testing. Responsible for start up, calibration and accuracy of procedures and instrumentation. Actively participates in problem solving activities within the department, using advanced level of decision-making skills. Demonstrates advanced knowledge and application of all computer systems used in the department. Demonstrates advanced knowledge and application of theory and clinical relevance testing. Assists in ensuring compliance with accrediting agencies and regulatory requirements. Demonstrates ability to assume lead responsibility in absence of on-site departmental leadership personnel.
- Recognizes, ensures validity, and assists in monitoring abnormal patient and/or QC results of testing. Ensures accuracy of test results. Participates in detecting and documenting occurrences that deviate from defined procedures. Recognizes need and participates in department and LSA/SQL System process improvement and quality assurance activities, including assisting with monitoring of department indicators of productivity and quality.
- Monitors and controls inventory and assists in providing financial data for the department. Active participation on process improvements in financial performance to decrease costs, improve productivity and improve service.
- Participates in contributions to additional department/System projects. Active in training of department employees. Actively participates on at least one committee or team or is involved in at least one special project identified with department management. Exhibits awareness of medical/legal consequences of professional actions. Assists in new employee orientation, training and competency. Provides input for competency and annual assessments for employees in appropriate time frames. Completes training module for newly hired/transferred personnel. Self directed. Documents a minimum of 12 hours of continuing education annually, in addition to mandatory topics.
- Acts as a department resource by participating in providing educational information to internal and external customers. Demonstrated advanced level of effective verbal and written communication skills. Attendance and participation at staff meetings. Demonstrates preceptor and coaching skills and promotes a constructive environment that encourages learning and development.
* Bachelor's Degree in clinical laboratory science/medical technology, OR
* Certificate of completion of a Categorical equivalent of MLS program, OR
* Bachelor's Degree in chemical, physical or biological science and certification (MLS or categorical).
* Students may be hired at the job title equivalent in clinical laboratory science under the following conditions: Student is enrolled in a clinically recognized program (CLS), student's clinical rotation in the core area must be completed prior to working in that core area and student must complete program within one year of hire.
* Foreign educated candidates must provide a detailed credential evaluation from IERF (International Education Research Foundation) or other nationally recognized credentialing agency.
* For certain specialty disciplines ONLY (Toxicology, etc.) where no certification is available from a certifying agency, a Bachelor's Degree with one year of experience in that discipline is required. Individuals with specialty certification may only work in the discipline of their specialty.
* MT or categorical certification (ASCP, AMT, HEW, AAB).