Job Requisition ID: 9383
Job Requisition ID: 9383
The Core Solutions Group includes all the functional areas that work together to develop instructional materials that meet current pedagogical and market needs for PreK-12. Content is developed for a wide range of media formats, including interactive digital media as well as print. Colleagues within the Core team have varying expertise including the following: subject-matter expertise across all academic subject areas, design, art and photo management, production management, quality assurance, content engineering, and permissions and licensing.
The VP, Product Management role is designed to oversee the product management and strategy for all disciplines within the Math & Science Studio. The VP, PM&S manages the Product Management team to ensure a consistent, integrated approach to mapping product strategy. This position informs product development and coordinates with Sales, Finance, the Business Desk, Global Supply, Marketing, and other internal groups to ensure market-leading product and successful market strategies. The VP role reports to the EVP General Manager of Core to coordinate closely on all decisions, actions, and development plans that impact the Math & Science studio product. This role manages a set of highly experienced Product Managers to provide clear leadership and unified direction and connected strategy across all HMH disciplines.
Product Planning & Development:
- Lead the overall planning and competitive marketing strategy for assigned products and solutions to meet revenue and profit goals.
- Work with individual Product Managers to develop and manage product market opportunities and growth initiatives per discipline/product area
- Coordinate with HMH Math & Science leadership to lead and manage the development of new proposals and business cases created by assigned teams.
- Ensure the market and business requirements across assigned products are aligned to customer needs and revenue and profit goals.
- Lead and manage ongoing market intelligence activities and develop deep customer insights and "job-to-be-done" to support new opportunity identification and business case development of new opportunities.
- Collaborate with EVP General Manager of Core to approve product concepts, business models, and financial alignment for program investment
Product Life Cycle Management:
- Drive financial performance of entire product group and individual Math & Science disciplines, including investment, revenue, and profitability
- Analyze and evaluate market performance and product positioning
- Coordinate with Math & Science and Marketing leads to benchmark against competition and market
- Collaborate with Studio and Production leadership to determine timeline of product launch and sunset
- Review and provide input on analysis investment for product maintenance
- Lead the PM&S team to set goals, budget, and business requirements for annual marketing plan developed by Product Marketing.
- Contribute to go to market strategy for all new solutions across product(s).
- Review and make recommendations on marketing plan that is created in Product Marketing based on identified marketing strategy.
- Guide Sales and Product Marketing in the transfer of the strategy to tactical and operational execution.
- Direct strategic options and responses before, during, and after key marketing campaigns; work closely with Sales leads to ensure correct strategy and execution
- Oversee and contribute to market research activities across discipline areas
- Design product and marketing strategies and positioning using market intelligence
- Work with discipline-specific PM&S leas to monitor, report, and respond to competitive intelligence
- Analyze and interpret market data and trends, provide recommendations to teams base on that analysis
- Manage and monitor financial performance of all PM&S/Math & Science product lines
- Analyze product(s) profit and loss statements; collaborate with EVP General Manager Core to monitor profitability across products
- Use quantitative data and qualitative analysis
- Review and approve product-pricing strategy per discipline & product area
Communication & Supervision:
- Maintain strong, ongoing channels of communication with sales force, Marketing, Learning Architecture teams, and other internal departments
- Lead cross-functional teams to execute processes and plans
- Lead team of up to 10. Review and assess staff through key evaluation points per year
- Bachelor's Degree
- At least 10 years of experience in K12 educational publishing with managerial experience
- Experience with Math & Science Product Strategy
- Experience in editorial, sales, consulting, or teaching in the content area
- Experience in an entrepreneurial or start-up environment
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills
- Superior verbal and written communication skills; superior presentation skills
- Superior inter-personal skills with all levels including executive management
- Demonstrated conceptual & analytical thinking; vision; leadership & management; prioritization; collaboration; decision-making; negotiation; problem-solving; tactical execution; product & market knowledge.
- MBA or Masters --preferably in the content area or in business management or marketing
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time(sitting and/or standing).
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meeting
ABOUT OUR TRADE DIVISION:
For nearly two centuries, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Trade Publishing has published some of the world’s most renowned novels, nonfiction, children’s books, and reference works. As part of a leading global learning company, it is uniquely positioned to create educational and entertaining content for multiple channels and in various formats, from hardcovers and paperbacks to e-books and mobile apps. Its distinguished author list includes eight Nobel Prize winners, forty-seven Pulitzer Prize winners, thirteen National Book Award winners, and more than one hundred Caldecott, Newbery, Printz, and Sibert Medal and Honor recipients. HMH publishes such distinguished authors as Philip Roth, Temple Grandin, Tim O'Brien, and Umberto Eco, and a celebrated roster of children’s authors and illustrators including Lois Lowry, Chris Van Allsburg, and David Wiesner. HMH is also home to The Best American series®; The American Heritage® and Webster’s New World® dictionaries; Betty Crocker®, Better Homes and Gardens®, How to Cook Everything®, The Gourmet Cookbook, and other leading culinary properties; the Peterson Field Guides®; CliffsNotes™; books by J.R.R. Tolkien; and many iconic children’s books and characters, including Curious George®, The Little Prince, and The Polar Express. For more information, visit http://www.hmhco.com/popular-reading.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NASDAQ:HMHC) is a global learning company dedicated to changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. As a leading provider of pre-K–12 education content, services, and cutting-edge technology solutions across a variety of media, HMH enables learning in a changing landscape. HMH is uniquely positioned to create engaging and effective educational content and experiences from early childhood to beyond the classroom. HMH serves more than 50 million students in over 150 countries worldwide, while its award-winning children's books, novels, non-fiction, and reference titles are enjoyed by readers throughout the world. For more information, visit http://careers.hmhco.com
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.