McCormick & Co., Inc., a world leader in the spice, flavor & seasonings industry, is seeking a full time Principal Scientist – Seasonings Product Development within the Custom Flavor Solutions business segment of the Technical Innovation Center (TIC) located at 204 Wight Avenue Road in Hunt Valley, MD. This Principal Scientist will report to the VP of Custom & Branded PD, US Industrial Group (USIG) & Canadian Industrial Group (CIG).
With more than $4 billion in annual sales, the Company manufactures markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavorful products to the entire food industry – retail outlets, food manufacturers and foodservice businesses. We create differentiating flavors consumers prefer with unmatched quality, science, innovation and service. Every day, no matter where or what you eat, you can enjoy food McCormick flavored. McCormick makes every meal and moment better™! To learn more about us, please visit www.mccormickcorporation.com.
As an employer recognized for exceptional commitment to employees, McCormick offers a wide variety of benefits, programs and services including, but not limited to, tuition assistance, medical & dental, disability, group life insurance, 401(k), profit sharing plan, paid holidays and vacations.
MCCORMICK’S TECHNICAL INNOVATION CENTER (TIC)
McCormick’s R&D has an unparalleled record of successful innovation creating flavors for products that matter. Today, more than ever, our team of top sensory, analytical, & materials scientists and research chefs – our innovation enablers – are helping us develop a new generation of tools to create products to satisfy consumers’ quests for authentic, premium flavor, to meet the exploding demand for positive nutrition, and to address the critical need for sustainable manufacturing and food safety.
We provide a high-quality R&D environment with an emphasis on teamwork, customer satisfaction, and interdepartmental cooperation. State-of-the-art equipment and facilities exist in laboratories devoted both to basic and applied research and product development with excellence in chemistry, microbiology, microscopy, molecular biology, engineering, sensory science, culinary science, & flavor and seasoning creation and applications. Our “passion for flavor” extends to customers around the globe.
Reporting to the VP of Custom & Branded PD, the Principal Scientist will provide technical support for customers in the Custom Flavor Solutions business segment. The Principal Scientist will establish, maintain, and drive best practices in customer intimacy engagement and product development, and will execute the creation of market preferred products through bench top product development, leveraging McCormick innovation and corporate technical resources. This role will provide technical leadership and expertise in McCormick’s US Industrial Group (USIG) technical community, and will be responsible for substantial direct customer contact and involvement with internal McCormick business partners in addition to external customers.
- Provide Seasonings Product Development expertise for industrial customers creating market preferred products through bench top product development, leveraging culinary input, technical innovation and consumer insights
- Deliver flavor solutions in a cost-effective manner while driving technical insulation to provide competitive advantage in the market place
- Design and execute project plans that deliver appropriate business return for our product development investment
- Advance the Technical Competency within the USIG organization through employee mentoring & coaching, as well as continued personal development
- Actively network within the industry to stay current with latest technology advances, customer requirements and consumer trends
- Lead and participate in various USIG/TIC programs and team projects
- BS or MS Degree in Food Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or related technical field
- Minimum 15 years of product development (PD) experience with at least 7 years of dry seasonings PD and expertise
- Majority of PD experience in an industrial ingredient environment
- High level of communication, presentation and collaboration skills across levels and functions Strong experience in a supplier product development role and ability to collaborate cross functionally to meet the business and technical expectations of customers
- Knowledge of competencies and capabilities of the industry vendor community and McCormick competition
- Experience solving complex technical challenges to deliver both market preferred flavors and excellent functionality
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to manage challenging clients and situations
- Experience leading and following simultaneously in a role which does not include significant direct management responsibilities
- Proven success multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment
- High degree of ownership and professional commitment
- Strong business sense and intuitive understanding of how to productively navigate within and adjust to various corporate cultures
- Ability and willingness to travel at least 10 – 20%
- Experience supervising employees and leading teams
- Experience training and developing junior technical team members
- Culinary training
McCormick & Company is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
McCormick does not offer employment visa sponsorships upon hire or in the future. You must be lawfully authorized to commence work upon being offered employment.