FirstEnergy at a Glance
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 5,000 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Nuclear Operating Company, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEG]
The Supervisor, Core Design & Physics Support oversees a staff performing engineering evaluations and related support for nuclear fuel issues such as fabrication and design. Provides direction to ensure that all fleet activities associated with core design are conducted consistently, effectively and efficiently.
- Maintains and implements the core reload program. Determines reload feed batch sizes and enrichments for fuel management and fuel procurement needs. Develops core loading patterns that guard and improve safety margins while simultaneously optimizing nuclear fuel management.
- Accountable for fuel vendor design, analysis, and manufacturing activities.
- Develop, document, and maintain reactor core physics models for each of the FENOC nuclear units.
- Track core model and actual core performance by performing core follow calculations. Maintain FENOC internal reactor core analysis models for each FENOC nuclear unit.
- Perform long term fuel cycle management studies for strategic forecasting and provide input to long term system (outage) planning.
- Perform Reactor Physics calculations in support of site Reactor Engineering, reactor core operations, and plant refueling operations.
- Provides site-specific training simulator core model updates.
- Maintain Special Nuclear Material databases and generate annual Material Status Reports for NRC.
- Provide decay heat calculations for site outage planning and spent fuel pool loading support.
- Administer technical aspects of reload fuel fabrication contracts.
- Participate in industry and owner’s group committees and meetings.
- Provide core design related evaluations for plant engineering projects.
- Own and oversee implementation of the fleet fuel reliability program.
- Participate in industry and owner’s group fuel reliability initiatives.
- Participate in and help plan, fuel fabrication audits and surveillances.
- A bachelor’s degree in Engineering or the Physical Sciences from an ABET-accredited institution is required.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in such areas as reactor physics, core measurements, core heat transfer, and core physics testing is required.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in engineering, nuclear fuel, or a related field/function is required.
- Prior supervisory / leadership experience preferred.
- Advanced degree in a related discipline and/or business administration preferred.
- Significant additional experience in nuclear fuel-related engineering work.
- Experience with both Pressurized Water Reactors and Boiling Water Reactors.
- Demonstrates excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Experience with successfully managing remotely located employees.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
#CB #LI - LI