Job Title: Technical Service Manager
Reports To: Director, Innovation Research and Development
Prepared by: Director, Innovation and Application / Human Resources
Prepared Date: 12/17
Summary: Manage team of Technical Service Staff, responding to technical inquiries from customers and sales team. Provides training, prepares presentations and documentation as requested. Ensure statutory compliance of all regulatory requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
● Manage team of 3-4 technical service associates
● Train and assess performance for team, while providing necessary guidance.
● Assess and implement best practices and SOPs for department
● Responsible for staying up to date on all regulatory laws, notices both domestic and international
● Monitors and responds to information requests regarding FDA and international industry requirements and regulations; including organizing international product registration
● Delegates tasks to team members as deemed appropriate
● Supervises quarterly updates to product information database
● Advises and assists customers with preparation of new formulas
● Responsible for various aspects of the quality complaint / resolution process including customer, departmental, supplier, and third party Lab interaction
● Prepares presentations for management, the sales team, customers, and others as needed
● Provides product training programs and presentations for the customers, staff, new hires, representatives, and others as needed
● Assists marketing with technical information as needed.
● Prepares collaterals for our Focus Products as per company’s schedule
● Responsible for conducting performance reviews for team members
Other Requirements: Some local travel
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies: Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information. Problem Solving - Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Interpersonal - Maintains confidentiality. Oral Communication - Demonstrates group presentation skills. Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively. Quality Management - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands. Dependability - Responds to management direction; Innovation - Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention. Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities. Professionalism - Reacts well under pressure. Safety and Security - Uses equipment and materials properly.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor’s Degree– Chemistry or related field from four year accredited college. Minimum 7-10 years work experience in industry or related field (experience can consist of lab, sales, product/project management or a combination).
Managerial/Supervisory experience is a must for this position, as the employee will have a team of directly reporting Technical Service Associates. The following areas are pluses for this role: Regulatory experience and knowledge; Quality systems (ISO) Management experience and Formulation experience.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients and customers. Effective and efficient communication is a must.
Ability to perform mathematical calculations. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software; Presentation software, Spreadsheet software; Internet software
Certificates and Licenses:
No certifications needed.
This job has supervisory responsibilities, with increased responsibility during the absence of the Department Manager. Managerial/Supervisory experience is a must for this position, as the employee will have a team of directly reporting Technical Service Associates.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is an environment with many interruptions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually low.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision and Ability to adjust focus.