Associate’s degree from two year college/university/tech school in a related scientific or technical field
Required Knowledge & Experience:
3 years experience in a QA/QC laboratory in a process industry required
Experience with implementing effective QA/QC programs
Experience with automated laboratory equipment (such as HPLC or GC)
Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite required
Knowledge of general office equipment required
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Strong basic math skills
Ability to interact professionally and effectively with internal and external customers
Ability to maintain good relationships with internal and external customers, use tact and diplomacy, and possess a customer service focus
Strong analytical abilities, problem solving skills, negotiation skills, dispute resolution and ability to overcome obstacles
Manage multiple priorities with efficiency and accuracy
Ability to anticipate needs and accomplish necessary tasks
Strong motivational ability
Act with honesty and integrity
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POSITION
Time will be spent in a temperature-controlled office-based environment at the laboratory within the plant. Ability to sit and stand for long periods of time. Able to view computer screen for lengths at a time. Some time will be spent in the plant. All types of chemical industry equipment are used in the plant to include, but not limited to fermentation vessels, jet cookers, agitators, mixing and milling equipment, distillation columns, centrifuges and distributive control systems. May be exposed to loud noises, wet and humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic chemicals, extreme hot and cold depending on weather conditions. Must be able to climb ladders and work at elevations of 175 feet. Must be able to speak and listen clearly. Fine visual acuity to read for accuracy. Some local travel required or as needed. For more detail please review the ADA questionnaire on file in Human Resources.
PHYSICAL STRENGTH: This job may require lifting of up to 50 pounds occasionally.
Working under the QA/QC Laboratory Manager, the QA/QC Laboratory Technician is responsible for implementing the quality assurance (QA/QC) program for the ethanol plant to ensure maximum production quantity and quality, while supporting the policies, goals, and objectives of the company.
Assist in implementing plant QA/QC program.
- Implement plant QA/QC program based on best practice in the ethanol industry by sampling various points in the process and conducting QA/QC tests as required.
- Monitor use and inventories of laboratory chemicals and supplies.
- Operate, maintain, and calibrate laboratory equipment.
- Prepare reports, analyze data and make recommendations for adjusting process conditions to ensure that QA/QC standards are met.
Maintain safety, health and environmental policies and procedures.
- Ensure city, county, state, and federal regulations relating to the QA/QC laboratory are met at all times.
- Participate in the safety program for the QA/QC laboratory.
Assist to coordinate activities with other departments.
- Communicate directly with production department to ensure effective participation by the process operators in the implementation of QA/QC policies and procedures.
- Implement programs and procedures required to ensure laboratory and plant cleanliness.