|Sources for Information on Careers in Biology, Conservation, and
The National Museum of Natural History receives numerous
requests for information on careers in the biological sciences. This pamphlet, prepared by the Department of Systematic
Biology, Vertebrate Zoology Section,National Museum of Natural History, in cooperation with the
Public Inquiry Mail Service, Smithsonian Institution, provides a
listing of the career guidance leaflets published by the professional scientific societies
as well as United States Government publications on careers in biology, conservation, and
oceanography. Other sources for career information are also included.
Many of the publications listed contain bibliographies and suggest additional sources
for career guidance. Information on career fields not listed can be obtained by writing to
the pertinent professional scientific society. For the names and addresses of such
societies consult the Encyclopedia of Associations, National Organizations of the U.S.,
28th edition, l994. This encyclopedia is available at most large public libraries.
- A Greatly Improved Outlook for College Graduates: An Update to the Year 2000. 1989. 8
pp. leaflet, No. 165V. $1.25. Describes employment opportunities for college graduates in
the coming decade. Department of Labor. Available from R. Woods, Consumer Information
Center-L, P.O. Box 100, Pueblo, CO 81002
- Careers in Biology III by R.H. and B.W. Saigo. 1989. 4 pp. Single copy, free. Includes
salary levels, preparation, and employment opportunities. Also, a leaflet on Industrial
Microbiology. American Institute of Biological Sciences, Education Division, 730 11th St.,
NW, Washington, DC 20001.
- Careers in Biology, an Introduction. 1991. Single copy free. National Association of
Biology Teachers. 11250 Roger Bacon Drive, No. 19, Reston, VA 22090.
- "Careers '92: Alternate Paths" reprint from 18 September 1992, Vol. 257, No.
5077, Science magazine, pp. 1707-1766. Available from Science, American Association for
the Advancement of Science, 1333 H Street, NW., Washington, DC 20005.
- Career Opportunities in the Sciences. 1986. Single copy, free. Available from the Office
of Education. American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1333 H St., NW,
Washington, DC 20005. A listing of sources of information.
- Federal Career Directory. 1990. Provides information on Federal employment; agencies and
contact persons listed. 271 pages. Available from the U.S. Government Printing Office,
Superintendent of Documents, Washington, DC 20402. Stock no. 006-000-01339-2. $31.00.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook. Published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics every two
years. Profiles more than 800 jobs and possibilities for earnings, advancement, training
and location of openings. It is the single best source of information on careers and is
available at most libraries or may be ordered from the Superintendent of Documents, U.S.
Government Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402. l992-93 edition, Stock no.
029-001-03091-6. $23.00 edition. Reprints of sections on careers in biology, conservation,
fisheries are available from the Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics,
Washington, DC. for $1.25 each.
- Opportunities in Biology. 1989. Committee on Research Opportunities in Biology, Board on
Biology, Commission on Life Sciences. 448 pp. Available from National Academy Press, 2101
Constitution Ave., N.W., Washington, DC 20418. $42.50. A survey of the field; important
- "Science Careers" reprint from 24 May 1991 Science magazine, pp. 1110-1148,
$1.25 plus $1.50, postage and handling. Write to Science, American Association for the
Advancement of Science, 1333 H St., NW, Washington, DC 20005. Trends for the 90's, recent
data on salaries, hot fields, entering academia.
- The Job Outlook in Brief. l990-2005. 36 page pamphlet, $2.25. Projects job prospects for
more than 250 occupations to year 2005. Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government
Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402. Stock no. 029-001-03124-6.
- Working for Life Careers in Biology by Thomas A. Easton. 2nd edition, 1988. Plexus,
Medford, New Jersey. 127 pp. Available at public libraries.
Return to the List
SPECIFIC CAREER FIELDS IN BIOLOGY
** Various departments of government at state level publish information on careers and
employment. Write to your State Department of Labor, Office of Education, Department of
Natural Resources, Conservation, or Commerce at the capital city of your state.
- Careers in Animal Biology. 1982. Single copy, free. American Society of Zoologists, Box
2739, California Lutheran College, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360.
- Careers in the Animal Kingdom by W. Oleksy. l980. Messner, New York. 255 pp. Question
and answer format; interviews with 40 men and women in animal careers. Available at public
- Careers Working with Animals: an introduction to occupational opportunities in animal
welfare, conservation, environmental protection, and allied professions by Guy R. Hodge.
l981. Acropolis Books, Washington. l52 pp. Available at the Humane Society of the U.S.,
2l00 L St., NW, Washington, DC 20037. $6.95. Manual describing animal-related careers,
employment outlook, and a listing of colleges offering pertinent programs.
- Careers Working with Animals. Free leaflet. Brief description. Humane Society of the
U.S., 2100 L St.,NW, Washington, DC 20037.
- Exploring Animal Care Careers by Charlotte Lobb. l980. Richard Rosen Press, New York.
ll2 pp. Examines 20 careers, many of which require little or no post-high school training.
Available at public libraries.
- The Purpose of Zoos & Aquariums. Free leaflet. 1984. American Association of
Zoological Parks & Aquariums, Oglebay Park, Wheeling, WV 26003.
- Zoo & Aquarium Careers. Free Leaflet. l989. American Association of Zoological Parks
and Aquariums. Oglebay Park, Wheeling, WV 26003.
- Zoo Jobs. Free leaflet. National Zoological Park, Washington, DC 20008.
- Zoo Keeping as a Career. Free leaflet. American Association of Zoo Keepers. Chicago
Zoological Society. Brookfield Zoo, Brookfield, IL 60513.
BIOCHEMISTRY and MOLECULAR BIOLOGY:
- Unlocking Life's Secrets. Career Opportunities in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
1990. 16 page brochure. Single copy free. American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular
Biology (ASBMB), 9650 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20816.
- Careers in Botany. Single copy free. Available from Robert Essman, Botanical Society of
America, Department of Botany, Ohio State University, 1735 Neil Ave., Columbus, OH 43210.
- Exploring Careers in Agronomy, Crops, and Soils. 25 page free booklet. American Society
of Agronomy, 677 South Segoe Rd., Madison, WI 537ll. Describes job opportunities,
salaries, and provides a list of universities and colleges to whom you may write for more
- Careers in Horticulture. a video from the American Society for Horticultural Science,
113 South West Street, Suite 40, Alexandria, VA 22314. Introduces students to horticulture
career opportunities in production, design, marketing research, and teaching. Kit includes
the VHS-format video, counselor's guide, 10 copies of a student brochure, and a list of
schools with 4 year and advanced degree programs. Complete package is $39.95, including
- Plant Physiology. Free booklet.Updated. Society of Plant Physiologists, East Gude Drive,
P.O. Box l688, Rockville, MD 20850
- Opportunities in Cell Biology. 1989 update. Booklet available from the American Society
for Cell Biology, 9650 Rockville Pike, MD 20814.
- Discover Entomology. l989. 9 page booklet. Single copy free. Entomological Society of
America, 9301 Annapolis Road, Suite 300, Lanham, MD 20706-3115.
- Entomologists in Agricultural Research Service. l978 revised. Free leaflet. U.S.
Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research, Personnel Division, Federal Bldg.,
Hyattsville, MD 20782.
- Career Opportunities for the Herpetologist. 1989. Single copy, free. The American
Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists (ASIH), Secretary, Dr. Carter R. Gilbert,
Florida Museum of Natural History, Department of Biology, University of Florida,
Gainesville, FL 32611.
- Herpetology as a Career. 1985. Single copy free.Society for the Study of Amphibians and
Reptiles (SSAR). Douglas H. Taylor, Department of Zoology, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio
ICHTHYOLOGY and FISHERIES SCIENCE:
- Careers in Fisheries. 1990. Free leaflet. American Fisheries Society, 5410 Grosvenor
Lane, Suite 110, Bethesda, MD 20814-2199. Career choices and employment opportunities.
- Careers in Ichthyology. 1991. Prepared by Lynne Parenti and Richard P. Vari. 4 page free
leaflet. American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists (ASIH) Business Office,
Department of Zoology, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL 62901-6501
- Fisheries Programs and Related Courses at North American Colleges and Universities.
1990. 12 page leaflet. Single copy $.25. American Fisheries Society, 54l0 Grovesnor Lane,
Bethesda, MD 208l4. A guide to students in selecting university fisheries programs:
criteria, qualifications, listing of universities.
- Outdoor Opportunities in Forestry, Wildlife Management, Fisheries Management. l980.
Employment Research Associates, P.O. Box l025, Albany, NY l220l. 5l pp. $6.95.
- For career information, write to the American Society of Zoologists, Box 2793,
California Lutheran College, Thousand Oaks, CA 93l60.
- Career Opportunities for Marine Mammal Trainers. Free leaflet. Sea World Education
Department, l720 South Shores Rd., Mission Bay, San Diego, CA 92l09.
- Journal of Mammalogy, Vol. 75, No. 1, pp. 92-96, 1994. "Career trends in
mammalogy," by G.W. Barrett and G.D. Peles.
- The Science of Mammalogy and Careers in Mammalogy. Free leaflets. American Society of
Mammalogists, Cindy Rebar, Department of Biological Science, Murray State University,
Murray, KY 42071.
- Strategies for Pursuing a Career in Marine Mammal Science. 14 page Supplement to Marine
Mammal Science, Vol. 10, No. 2, April 1994. Available from Allen Press, P.O. Box 1897,
Lawrence Kansas 66044-8897. Single student copy, $1.50; non-student copy, $2.70. Answers
questions of salary, education, employment opportunities, practical experience, graduate
study and programs, training, and additional sources of information. Additional
information on marine mammal training, schools, and opportunities in the field is
available from the International Marine Animals Trainer's Association, c/o Steve Shippe,
Naval Ocean Systems Center, P.O. Box 997, Kailua, HI 96734-0997.
- Careers in Protozoology. Free leaflet. Society of Protozoologists, c/o Dr. R. Barclay
McGhee, Department of Zoology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602.
- Colleges and Universities Granting Degrees in Microbiology. Reprint listings, Single
copy, $1.00. American Society for Microbiology, l9l3 I Street NW, Washington, DC 20006.
Updated every two years.
- Careers in Ornithology. 1989. Reprinted from article in American Birds, Vol. 43, No. 1,
pp. 29-37. Single copies of article available for $1.00, 10 for $3.00, 25 for $6.50. Send
checks payable to AOU to Max C.Thompson, Asst. to American Ornithologists' Union (AOU)
Treasurer, Department of Biology, Southwestern College, 100 College St., Winfield, KS
- Paleontology as a Career. Free leaflet. Department of Paleobiology, c/o Ray Rye, Museum
of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC 20560.
- Careers in Parasitology, Medical Zoology, Tropical Medicine. Free booklet. American
Society of Parasitologists, P.O. Box 368, l04l New Hampshire St., Lawrence, KS 66044.
- Career in Physiology. 24 page booklet revised. American Physiological Society, 9650
Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20014.
- Careers in Scientific Illustration. 10 page booklet, $1.50. Also, free leaflet, Art of
Natural Science Illustration describing work of an illustrator and activities of the
Guild. Scientific Illustration Courses and Books,$2.50, and Scientific Illustration, a
Creative Source Directory (members) $18.00. Available from the Guild of Natural Science
Illustrators, Inc. P.O. Box 652, Ben Franklin Station, Washington, DC 20044.
- Careers in Biological Systematics. l986. Single copy,free. Additional copies, $1.00
each. Society of Systematic Zoology, c/o National Museum of Natural History, Attn. Cathy
Bruwelheide, Rm. W 114, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC 20560.
Return to the List
- A Wildlife Conservation Career for You. 1987 update. Single copy free; 1-10 copies, 50
cents. Wildlife Society, 5410 Grosvenor Lane, Bethesda, MD 208l4.
- Career Guide 2000. Fishery, Forestry, Wildlife and Related Occupations by W.J. Hoagman,
1977, Reminston House, Hayes, VA. Booklet. Lists and describes occupations, specific and
college requirements, schools and federal agencies. Available at libraries.
- Career Profiles. l979 revised. Free leaflet, FS 308. U.S. Department of Agriculture,
Forest Service, P.O. Box 24l7, Washington, DC 200l3.
- Careers in Conservation : Profiles of People Working for the Environment by Ada and
Frank Graham. l980. Sierra Club Books, Scribner's Sons, NY. Opportunities in conservation,
endangered species, and public education.
- Careers in Ecology. Single copy free and on web site (http://www.esa.org/).
Ecological Society of America, 2010 Massachusetts Ave, NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC
20036. Includes educational background, opportunities, prospects for employment and
- Careers in the United States Department of the Interior. Xeroxed information sheets and
various leaflets. Single copies free from the United States Department of the Interior,
Fish and Wildlife Service, Publications Unit, Washington, DC 20240. Describes biological
science position, educational requirements, summer positions, how to apply, where to file,
and Federal Job Information Testing Offices.
- Careers: Professional and Administrative Careers 1986 .Free booklet. U.S. Department of
Agriculture, Forest Service, P.O. Box 2417, Washington, DC 20013. Details career
opportunities and qualifications for jobs in Forestry, Engineering, Geology, Hydrology,
Landscape Architecture, Range Conservation, Research, Soil Science and Wildlife
- Challenging Careers in Soil Conservation. l98l. Single booklet, free. U.S. Department of
Agriculture, Soil Conservation Service, P.O. Box 2890, Washington, DC 200l3.
- Conservation Careers. 1983. Single copy, free. National Wildlife Federation, Education
Division, l4l2 l6th St, NW, Washington, DC 20036.
- Conservation Directory. An excellent list of organizations, agencies and officials
involved with natural resources management. Lists Colleges and Universities in the
U.S.& Canada that have programs in biology, conservation, environmental sciences, and
ocean sciences. $18.00 plus $3.95 shipping and handling from the National Wildlife
Federation, 1412 16th St., NW, Washington, DC 20036.
- Endangered Species Update. April 1993, Vol. 10, No. 6 Supplement. 7 pages on
"Careers: Advice from leading environmental professionals on how to get
started." Compiled and edited by Lisa S. Yee and available from the School of Natural
Resources and Environment, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1115.
- Earth Work, Vol. 2 No. 6 pp. 6-31, 1992. "Conservation career closeup: National
Marine Fisheries Service." by W. Fox. P.O. Box 550, Charlestown, NH 03603.
- Exploring Careers: Agriculture, Forestry and Fishery Occupations. Reprints from the
Occupational Outlook Handbook. $1.25 each. U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor
Statistics, Washington, DC.
- Exploring Careers in Agronomy, Crops, and Soils. 1989. Single copy free. American
Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America, Soil Science Society of America, 677
South Segoe Rd., Madison, WI 53711.
- Guide to Conservation Careers. l984. Single copy, free. List of references and leaflets
on careers dealing with soil, water, fish, wildlife and forest conservation. National
Association of Conservation Districts, Rm.ll05, l025 Vermont Ave., NW, Washington DC
- Make A Difference- Challenge Yourself with a Forest Service Career. 1990. Free 19 page
booklet. Includes leaflets on how to apply and salary schedule. USDA, Forest Service, 12th
& Independence SW, P.O. Box 96090, Washington, DC 20090-6090.
- National Park Service Careers Free 20 page booklet. U.S. Department of the Interior,
National Park Service, P.O.Box 37126, Washington, DC 20013-7127.
- Opportunities in Environmental Careers by Odom Fanning. 3rd edition. 1981. National
Textbook Co., Skokie, IL. 150pp. Available from public and university libraries.
- So You Want to be in Forestry. 16 page booklet. Single copy free. American Forestry
Association and the Society of American Foresters. 5400 Grosvenor Lane, Bethesda, MD
20814. Also, Job Seekers' Guide available.
- Society of American Foresters Accredited Professional Forestry Degree Programs- 1989.
Free leaflet. Lists programs and schools. American Foresters. 5400 Grosvenor La. Bethesda,
- The Complete Guide to Environmental Careers. 1989. CEIP Fund, 68 Harrison Ave., Fifth
Floor, Boston, MA 02111-1907.
- The Environmental Career Guide by N. Basta. 1992. John Wiley Press.
- Universities and Colleges Offering Curricula in Wildlife Conservation. 1983 update. Free
leaflet. Wildlife Society, 7l0l Wisconsin Ave., Bethesda, MD 208l4.
**For information about conservation career opportunities in state agencies, write to
your state Department of Conservation, Department of Natural Resources, or Department of
Fish and Wildlife in the capital city of your state.
Return to the List
- Careers in NOAA 1991. Free 15 page booklet describes the kinds of jobs held by people
working for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Includes employment
information. Available from the U.S. Department of Commerce, NOAA, Office of the Under
Secretary for Oceans and Atmosphere. Washington, DC 20230.
- Careers in Oceanography and Marine Related Sciences. Free booklet published by the
Oceanography Society is available from Patrick Dennis, Office of the Oceanographer of the
Navy, OP-0996, 34th and Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20392.
- Careers in Oceanography. 25 pp. Single copy, free. Examines subfields of oceanography,
undergraduate and graduate schools, and laboratories. Available from the American
Geophysical Union, 2000 Florida Ave.,NW, Washington, DC 20009.
- Careers in Oceanography. Free leaflet describes the fields of oceanography,
qualifications, preparation to become an oceanographer, and employment outlook from Oregon
State University, School of Oceanography, Corvallis, OR 97331.
- Careers in the Marine Sciences/ Carreras en las Ciencias Marinas by Marie Beatriz
Riesco. PRU-E-16. University of Puerto Rico Sea Grant Program, Publications, Department of
Marine Sciences, University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez, PR 00708. A free guide for those
considering a career in the marine sciences; question and answer format.
- Careers in Marine Science. Available free from the National Aquarium in Baltimore,
Department of Education and Interpretation, Pier 3, 501 East Pratt St., Baltimore, MD
- Career Kit. Information on marine biology careers;
includes suggested college courses and schools can be found at
A catalog of educational products such as
career-related videos and books can be requested by writing to SeaWorld Florida, Education Department, 7007 Sea World Drive, Orlando,
- Earth Work, Vol. 2, No. 6, pp. 4-10, 1992. " The new era of oceanographic
careers," by J. Twiss, Jr.
- Geology Science & Profession. Single copy free. U.S. Department of the Interior,
Geological Survey, Geologic Inquiries Group, Reston, Virginia 22092. Describes the work of
a marine geologist.
- Marine Career Series: Marine-Related Occupations. A Primer for High School Students.
Marine Memo. 41. Rhode Island Sea Grant, Publications Unit, Univ. of Rhode Island/Bay
Campus, Narragansett, RI 02882. Refer to RIU-E-90-001.
- Marine Careers, an 18 minute video presentation that describes career opportunities in
marine-related professions. Introduces viewers to skills, training requirements, outlook,
and salary range in variety of marine-related jobs. Sells for $15.00; inquire for rental
arrangement. Make checks payable to the University of Delaware and mail request to
University of Delaware Sea Grant, Marine Communications Office, 263 E. Main St., Newark,
DE 19716. Tel. (302) 831-8083. Refer to: DELU-F-93-001.
- Marine Careers Resources. Free leaflet. Sea World Education Department, 1720 South
Shores Road, San Diego, CA 92109-7995.
- Marine-related Careers. 2 pp, free. 1988. OHSU-FS-)12. Ohio Sea Grant, Ohio State
University, 1314 Kinnear Rd., Columbus, OH 43212. Listing of references on world of work
in the water.
- Marine Careers: The Oceanographer. Free leaflet by William R. Hall. 1991. Describes 5
kinds of oceanographers and lists sources of marine careers materials. University of
Delaware Sea Grant, Marine Communications Office,263 E. Main St., Newark, DE 19716.
- Marine Careers: The Scientist. Free leaflet by William R. Hall and Elizabeth A. Chajes.
1993. Describes the specializations in marine careers and how to become a marine
scientist. Lists additional sources of information. Write to University of Delaware Sea
Grant, Marine Communications Office, 263 E. Main St., Newark, DE 19716. Refer to
- Marine Education. Bibliography of educational materials available from the Sea Grant
College Programs that includes listing all Sea Grant programs in marine science,
internships and educational opportunities. Available from Sea Grant Marine Education
Bibliography, Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, J.L. Scott Marine Education Center and
Aquarium, P.O. Box 7000, Ocean Springs, MS 39564-7000
- Ocean Opportunities. 1986. 30 page booklet, $3.00. Write to Marine Technology Society,
1825 K St., N.W., Suite 218, Washington, DC 20006. Describes the various subfields in
oceanography (biological,chemical, geological, etc.)with a listing of colleges and
universities offering degrees in the science.
- Oceanographic Institutions: Science Studies the Sea, by Peter Limburg. l979. Elsevier
Nelson, NY. Profiles several oceanographic institutions, summarizes U.S. marine research
and oceanographic study in foreign countries; provides general information on careers.
Available at public and university libraries.
- Oceanus. 1990, Vol. 33, No. 3, 80 pp. "Marine Education" issue includes
graduate and undergraduate marine programs, Sea Grant's role, and practical learning
experiences. Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, 9 Maury Lane, Woods Hole, MA 02543.
- Opportunities in Marine and Maritime Careers by William Ray Heitzmann. l988. 2nd ed.
Available from VGM Career Horizons, National Textbook Company, 8259 Niles Center Rd.,
Skokie, IL 60077. Covers wide range of jobs: undersea diving, maritime transportation,
oceanography and marine sciences, information on salaries, education, and tips on how to
- Preparing for a Career in Oceanography. 8 page brochure. Single copy free from Scripps
Institution of Oceanography, A-033, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA
92093. Describes multidisciplinary aspects of oceanography, undergraduate and graduate
preparation, and curricular programs at Scripps with selected facilities.
- Questions About Careers in Oceanography. 18 pages. Single copy free. TAMU-SG-87-401.
Appropriate for grades 7-12. Write to Marine Information Service, Sea Grant College
Program, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX 77843-4115.
- Scientific Marine Careers. E-1355. 30 cents per copy. Also Professional Marine Careers,
E-1356, and Technical Marine Careers E-1357. Michigan Sea Grant Extension, MSU Bulletin
Office, P.O. Box 6640, East Lansing, MI 48826-6640. Describes work of marine biologists,
environmental scientists, fisheries technicians, geological oceanographers, marine
bacteriologists, marine ecologists and many other occupations that touch on the marine
- Sea Technology Buyer's Guide/Directory 1987-88. Section F, pp. F1-F16. Lists U.S. and
adjacent institutions of higher learning with programs in oceanography, ocean engineering,
and marine technology; describes programs, facilities available, and degree offered with a
contact for further information. Copies of the Guide/Directory can be ordered for $19.50
plus $1.50 postage from Compass Publication, Inc., Suite 1000, 1117 North 19th St.,
Arlington, VA 22209.
- So You Want to Be a Marine Scientist. $1.00. Seaquarium Science Series, No. 2. Miami
Seaquarium, 4400 Rickenbacker Causeway, Virginia Key, Fl 33l49.
- Summer Opportunities in Marine and Environmental Science: a compilation of jobs,
internships, study, camp & travel programs for high school and college students by Joy
A. Herrioff and Betty G. Herrin. 1985. White Pond Press, Londonderry, New Hampshire. 46
- Training and Careers in Marine Science. Paperback booklet, 11 pp., free to members,
$5.00 non-members. International Oceanographic Foundation, 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway,
Miami, FL 33l49. Describes branches and specialties of marine science, preparation needed,
job prospects, compensation, useful hints to students, and a reading list.
- University Curricula in the Marine Sciences and Related Fields. 1981/82. Single copy, no
charge. Public Affairs Office, Naval Oceanographic Office Bay St.Louis, NSTL, Mississippi
- University Curricula in Oceanography and Related Fields. 1989-91. $5.00. Marine
Technology Society, 1825 K St.,N.W., Suite 218, Washington, DC 20006. A guide to various
universities with programs in oceanography and the marine sciences.
- Vocational-Technical Marine Career Opportunities in Texas. l980. Single copy free. No.
TAMU-SG-80-402. Sea Grant Program, Texas A&M Univ., College Station, TX 77843.For high
school counselors, teachers, and students.
- What is Oceanography. Free Fact Sheet, P915, from the Information Office, Rhode Island
Sea Grant, University of Rhode Island Bay Campus, Narragansett, RI 02882-1197.
Return to the List
ADDITIONAL SOURCES FOR
- A Guide to Career in Science Writing. booklet , 10 pages. National Association of
Science Writers, Inc., P.O. Box 294, Greenlawn, NY 11740.
- Career Briefs- Summaries- Job Guides. New list published each September by Careers,
Inc., P.O. Box 135, Largo, Fl. 34649-0135. Write for list of titles and prices.
- Career Opportunities News. Write to Garrett Park Press, Garrett Park, Maryland 20896 for
sample newsletter and subscription fees. Articles on current outlook on various
occupations; featured careers; reports and new books on various careers.
- Encyclopedia of Careers and Vocational Guidance. William E. Hopke, editor. 1987. 7th
edition, 3 Vols. J.G.Ferguson Pub.Co., Chicago. A major reference.
- Peterson's Annual Guide to Undergraduate Study, Four Year Colleges. 1993. Princeton, NJ:
Peterson's Guides, Inc.
- Peterson's Guide to Graduate Programs in the Biological and Agricultural Sciences, BK.
3, 25th ed. 1993. Princeton, NJ: Peterson's Guides, INc.
- Women in the Sciences. LC Science Tracer Bullet TB83-8.Free Bibliography from Science
and Technology Division, Library of Congress,l0 First St. SE, Washington, DC 20540
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Public Affairs, Woods Hole, Massachusetts
02543.Information Center-L, P.O. Box 100, Pueblo, CO 81002
Return to the List
Prepared by the Department of Systematic
Biology, Vertebrate Zoology Section,
National Museum of Natural History, in cooperation with the
Public Inquiry Mail Service, Smithsonian Institution
NOTE: This publication can be made available in Braille or audio cassette.
To obtain a copy in one of these formats, please call or write :
PO Box 37012
SI Building, Room 153, MRC 010
Washington, DC 20013-7012
202-633-1000 (voice); 202-357-1729 (TTY)
(Please provide postal address.)